The February birthstone, the amethyst, is said to strengthen relationships and give its wearer courage.
Amethysts are a type of quartz often found in geodes amidst cooled lava.
Their purple coloring runs the gamut from reddish purple to a bluish lilac.
The finest quality is a strongly saturated reddish purple to dark purple as long as the stone does not become too dark to see its brightness.
AMETHYST BIRTHSTONE FACTS & FOLKLORE
- Italian Renaissance artist and scientist Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519) believed that wearing an amethyst could increase intelligence.
- At one time, amethysts were only available to royalty.
- Ancient Greeks thought that the amethyst guarded against intoxication. In fact, amethyst comes from amethystos, a Greek word meaning “sober.”
- Wearing an amethyst will give you courage and help to prevent insomnia.
- A dream of receiving an amethyst as a gift brings good luck.
- A dream of giving an amethyst means you forgive the recipient.